Saturday, January 3, 2009

Week 1: Weigh-In & Recap

So, I just realized a few minutes ago that a week from my last weigh-in was Friday. I weighed in today, though, and I think I am going to use Saturday as my regular weigh-in day from now on.

STARTING WEIGHT: 176.7 POUNDS

CURRENT WEIGHT: 173.3 POUNDS (3.4 POUNDS LOST!!!)

GOAL WEIGHT: 125 POUNDS (43.8 POUNDS TO LOSE)


What a great result! Even though I feel like crap and I am bloated like crazy, I still pulled up a 3.4 pound lost! I am so proud of myself! This week was all about proving that I could control what I put in my mouth and when (that's what she said). Honestly, I had "attempted" diets many times the past few months, but they were not successful because I did not put in the effort. I would give up as soon as I saw something that I wanted (which I only wanted because it was in front of me).

This week was so important to me. This was the deal breaker week. This was the tester... the "Can I really do this?" week. I felt like this week would be the toughest for me because it's such a change from the life I had been leading. However, I know that developing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is difficult and in some ways, it gets harder each day. The whole process of losing weight reminds me of the book Holes by Louis Sachar. The main character, Stanley, has to dig holes every day. After he goes through the painful task of finishing his first hole, another digger tells him, "The first hole is the hardest." But, as the book reads, "All too soon Stanley was back out on the lake, sticking his shovel into the dirt. X-Ray was right: the third hole was the hardest. So was the fourth hole. And the fifth hole. And the sixth..."

And it's the same with weight loss. That's why, "One Day at a Time" is my Lesson of the Week. I learned this week that today really is all I have. Losing weight is not about the future and it's not about the past. It's about now and the choices I make NOW. And in some ways, knowing that today is the only day I have to worry about and deal with, well, it makes it a little bit easier.

Quote of the Week: "The single most important thing that I have learned in this process is that I simply have to do what I can do today. If I can do that, then I will reach my goal. Focusing on today is a far less daunting task than facing the prospect of shedding 200 excess pounds." - Kimberly (The Woman Inside Me)

Lyric of the Week:
Why wait when now is the right time? Today could just pass you by
Why wait? It's your turn, it's your life, the future is what we make, so why wait?
Why wait? Tomorrow can be so far away, you're already here
Why wait? You just gotta let go, you gotta believe in yourself all the way,
You know that you got what it takes, So why wait?
"Why Wait?" by Belinda (Cheetah Girls 2 Soundtrack)

0 Comments: